Sunday, November 20, 2011

Old England ~ Poem

This is a poem I have written about early Victorian London Life and is set around the events surrounding one day in the life of a wealthy man. showing the Social divide between the Rich and Poor. Much Love to you ~ Chris ~ ________________________________ ~ Old England ~ A candle lit face, peers through the smoky haze of Old England. Charcoal skin and cheeky grin "want your chimney swept again Master Jim?" said him, Flat cap tipped high, "well" said I with a wishful sigh "be here at 9 tomorrow with Brush and barrow, that will be fine". As I look down the cobbled road before me, I see gold Crested Doors upon Carriage and Horse, steaming Stallions with wild eyes, brass medallions on their side. I notice a familiar sight and tip my hat to the right, "Good day miss Roberts" she acknowledges with blushed cheek and a coy look to her feet. With quickened pace her rustled lace, disappears within a trace, of muffled girlish laughter. Memories of the time she captured my Heart, when her eyes of Green flashed across crowded floor, to the Ballroom door where I stood. In that moment, that joyous time, when her eyes met mine, the music stopped as my beating heart took the lead. The swell of Love played its tune across the room, as we danced each other's dreams. A tug on my Coat brought me back to the Street of Beggar Boy with upturned cap, held out in hope, that his return home could help his Sister. Where she lay clutching a dirty china Doll, her skin all blistered. Mother and Father ...

No comments:

Post a Comment